Hauptseminar Active Matter SS 2015
- Seminar (Talks and Discussion)
- Date and Time
- weekly during the SS 2015, exact dates tba.
- Institut für Computerphysik, room tba
- Credit Points
- 2 SWS = 3 CP
- Prof. Dr. Clemens Bechinger (2. PI)
- Prof. Dr. Christian Holm (ICP)
- Dr. Joost de Graaf (ICP)
- Course Number
- We expect the participants to have fundamental knowledge in classical and statistical mechanics, thermodynamics, electrodynamics, and partial differential equations.
- Application (=Anmeldung) for the Seminar. Please write an email to Joost de Graaf until December 1 . Topics will be assigned before December 15.
- There will be organizational meeting that will be mandatory to all participants in February 2015, probably during the first week of the winter break to discuss topics and style and other requirements.
General Topic: Driven and self-propelled colloidal particles
- Theoretical description of hydrodynamic interactions: Solving Stokes' Equations for Particles (T)
- Life at low Reynolds numbers: Nature`s strategy for motion at small length scales (T)
- Man-made realizations of mechanical swimmers (E)
- Gradient-based artifical microswimmers: Creation of man-made active particles (E)
- The standard diffusiophoretic and electrophoretic models (T)
- Computer simulations of diffusiophoresis and electrophoresis (T)
- Self-diffusiophoretic and self-electrophoretic self-propelled particles (SPPs) (T)
- Bubble-propulsion in artificial microswimmers: hollow cones, stomatocytes, and Janus particles (E)
- Theoretical models for the bubble-propulsion of SPPs (T)
- Experimental characterization of microswimmers: From single swimmers to crowding (E)
- Swimming in confinement and in the presence of external fields (E)
- Motion of passive particles in non-trivial flows (sorting of chiral particles) (E)
The (T) or (E) after the talk title indicate if this topic would count towards an experimental or theoretical Seminar certificate:
(T): Theoretical Seminar Talk (E): Experimental Seminar Talk
Getting the credit points
To get the credit points for the seminar, the following criteria should be met:
- All participants have to be present in all talks and play a part in the discussions.
- Instead of writing a report after the talk, we expect the participants to distribute a handout in the week before the seminar and send it to tba to be put up on the web page.
- The handout is to be written in English.
- All participants are expected to read the handout as preparation to the talk.
- It should describe the contents of the talk, written out in full.
- It should have 8 to 10 pages.
- If available, up to three original articles can be attached to the handout.
- The talk is to be given at the arranged time.
- The talk is to be held in English.
- The talk should take 40 to 45 minutes.
- We recommend to prepare electronic slides for the talk.
- They can be displayed on your own laptop or on the institute's laptop. In the first case, please check whether the projection works before the actual date, in the latter case, please contact us well beforehand so that we will bring the laptop.
- After the talk, there will be a discussion on the talk, where all participants are expected to actively contribute.
- After the discussion, we will give hints on how to improve the presentation.
- For the participants that require a grade (PO 2011), the following aspects will be important:
- Quality of the talk (contents, presentation, slides)
- Quality of the handout (contents, readability)
- Contributions to the discussion