Hauptseminar Active Matter SS 2015/Life at Low Reynolds Numbers: Nature`s Strategy for Motion at Small Length Scales (T)
More information will become available soon.
- Life at Low Reynolds Numbers: Nature`s Strategy for Motion at Small Length Scales (T)
- (reserved for) Karoline Weinspach
In this topic the concept of self-propulsion in biological systems is discussed. In particular the consequences of living in an incompressible/viscous medium on the micron length scale. The concept of irreversibility will be introduced via Purcell's famous scallop theorem. The various mechanisms by which micro-organisms achieve motion are considered in connection to irreversibility.
- E.M. Purcell, Am. J. Phys. 45, 3 (1977)
- A. Najafi and R. Golestanian, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 19, S1203 (2005)
- O.S. Pak and Eric Lauga, arXiv:1410.4321v1 (2014)