Hauptseminar Porous Media SS 2021
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Participants need to register through CAMPUS.|
- Seminar (Student-prepared talks, followed by discussion)
- Date and Time
- TBA, once a week
- virtual or Institut für Computerphysik, room 01.079
- Credit Points
- 2 SWS = 6 ECTS for M.Sc. Physik
- 3 ECTS for M.Sc. PHYSICS
- Prof. Dr. Christian Holm (ICP)
- Christoph Lohrmann (ICP)
- Hauptseminar for M.Sc. Physik
- Seminar in Physics for M.Sc. PHYSICS
- Advanced Seminar in Physics for M.Sc. PHYSICS
- We expect the participants to have fundamental knowledge in classical and statistical mechanics, thermodynamics, electrodynamics, and partial differential equations.
Schedule, speakers and resources
Getting the credit points
To get the credit points for the seminar, the following criteria must be met:
- Students from the German Physik Master (6 ETCS) must
- make an appointment to meet with their tutor at least 8 weeks before giving the talk. At this meeting, the breadth and depth to cover the topic will be discussed, so the participant must already have taken a look at the literature provided on the website.
- hand in a draft of their handout and presentation slides to their tutor 2 weeks before the talk
- give a trial talk, the location and date are to be arranged with the tutor.
- hand in the final version of their handout to the Hauptseminar organizer (Christoph Lohrmann) 1 week before the talk
- give their talk at the arranged time
- be present at all talks
- take part in the discussions following the talks
- give a five-minute summary of the previous week's talk on approximately one occasion (see below)
- Students from the international programme (3 ECTS) must
- Meet the same criteria except that they do not have to prepare a handout
- The handout
- consists of 8 to 10 A4 pages including pictures. The formatting is 11 pt font, single-spaced text.
- describes the contents of the talk, written out in full
- is written in English
- must correctly and in a standard scientific style cite all sources used. Any pictures used must have a citation in the caption.
- The talk
- has a length of 45 minutes
- is prepared with a slide deck in electronic form
- is held in English
- must cite the author underneath any picture used. Text content should not have citations, but all sources must be listed in the handout.
- The five-minute summary:
- After each session, one student is randomly designated to open the next session
- In the following week, that student will have five minutes to give a brief summary of the previous talk.
- The student may reuse up to two slides from the talk they are summarizing or one slide they created themselves.
- The slide(s) must be loaded onto the main speaker's laptop before the session starts.
- The summarizer is also the chair of the session. Therefore, at the end of their summary, the chair will introduce the main speaker of the session, giving the speaker's name and topic and (if applicable) saying a sentence or two about how the talk connects to previous talks. Furthermore, it is the chair's job to manage the questions at the end by calling the people who raise their hands and by ensuring that the questions stay on topic.
Participants are graded according to
- the quality of the presentation and the handout (80 %)
- the quality of their participation in the discussion and of the five-minute summary (20 %)