Hauptseminar Theorie und Simulation der weichen Materie SS 2013
- Seminar (Talks and Discussion)
- Date and Time
- Tuesday, 14:00-15:30 (1st date: April 9)
- Institut für Computerphysik, Seminar room 1.079
- Max-Planck-Institute for Intelligent Systems, Seminar room 5H7 (directions)
- Credit Points
- 2 SWS = 3 CP
- Dr. Jens Smiatek (ICP)
- Dr. Olaf Lenz (ICP)
- Dr. Felix Höfling (MPI für Intelligente Systeme)
- Dr. Matthias Krüger (MPI für Intelligente Systeme)
- Dr. Markus Bier (MPI für Intelligente Systeme)
- Course Number
- PO 2011: 31620 Hauptseminar in Theoretischer Physik (benoteter Leistungsnachweis)
- PO 2010: 28300 Fortgeschrittene Vielteilchentheorie (unbenoteter Leistungsnachweis als Prüfungsvorleistung)
Due to the number of participants, the seminar will have two tracks with a few common talks. The common talks will take place at the MPI for Intelligent Systems, the two tracks will take place at the ICP.
We expect the participants to have fundamental knowledge in classical and statistical mechanics, thermodynamics, electrodynamics, and partial differential equations.
Getting the credit points
To get the credit points for the seminar, the following criteria should be met:
- All participants have to be present in all talks and play a part in the discussions.
- Instead of writing a report after the talk, we expect the participants to distribute a handout in the week before and send it to Jens to be put up on the web page.
- The handout is to be written in English.
- All participants are expected to read the handout as preparation to the talk.
- It should describe the contents of the talk, written out in full.
- It should have 5 to 10 pages.
- If available, up to three original articles can be attached to the handout.
- The talk is to be given at the arranged time.
- The talk is to be held in English.
- The talk should take 40 to 45 minutes.
- We recommend to prepare electronic slides for the talk.
- They can be displayed on your own laptop or on the institute's laptop. In the first case, please check whether the projection works before the actual date, in the latter case, please contact us well beforehand so that we will bring the laptop.
- After the talk, there will be a discussion on the talk, where all participants are expected to actively contribute.
- After the discussion, we will give hints on how to improve the presentation.
- For the participants that require a grade (PO 2011), the following aspects will be important:
- Quality of the talk (contents, presentation, slides)
- Quality of the handout (contents, readability)
- Contributions to the discussion
Please notice: A few talks (23.4., 30.4., 7.5. and 11.6.) will take place at the MPI for intelligent systems, Seminar room 5H7. Date Topic Speaker Tutor Location Resources 9.4. How to give a talk ICP Presentation (Olaf Lenz) (422 kB) General introduction talk: Soft Matter investigated by atomistic Molecular Dynamics simulations ICP Presentation (Jens Smiatek) (934 kB) 23.4. Introduction to Molecular Dynamics and Monte-Carlo Simulations Kim Kafenda Olaf Lenz MPI 30.4. Theory of Liquids Martin Bauer Markus Bier MPI 7.5. Theory of Brownian Motion Caterina Clausen Felix Höfling MPI 14.5. Track 1: Density Functional Theory Hendrik Bartsch Markus Bier ICP Track 2: Electrostatics Algorithms Gabriel Sichardt Olaf Lenz ICP 28.5. Track 1: Liquid Crystals Venkata Cherikuri Markus Bier ICP Track 2: Hydrodynamic Interactions Udo Höfel Felix Höfling ICP 4.6. Track 1: Crystal Structure Prediction Kilian Dietrich Jens Smiatek, Joost de Graaf ICP Track 2: Mesoscopic Simulation Methods Johannes Schmidt Jens Smiatek ICP 11.6. Common Talk: Poisson-Boltzmann Theory Kai Szuttor Jens Smiatek MPI 18.6. Track 1: Computing Free Energies Larissa Dill Jens Smiatek ICP Track 2: Diffusion in Many-particle Suspensions Moritz Förster Matthias Krüger ICP 25.6. Track 1: Polymer Theory Eva Schöll Markus Bier ICP Track 2: Long-time Anomalies of the Diffusion in Liquids Cedric Kiener Matthias Krüger ICP 2.7. Track 1: Polymer Simulations Samuel Wagner Olaf Lenz ICP Track 2: Microswimmers Jannick Fischer Jens Smiatek, Joost de Graaf ICP 9.7. Track 1: Electrophoresis Florian Jung Jens Smiatek, Owen Hickey ICP Track 2: Anomalous Transport Moritz Scholze Felix Höfling ICP