Hauptseminar Theorie und Simulation der weichen Materie WS 2013
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Blockseminar (Talks and Discussion)
- Date and Time
- to be discussed
- Institut für Computerphysik, Seminar room 1.079
- Max-Planck-Institute for Intelligent Systems, Seminar room 5H7 (directions)
- Credit Points
- 2 SWS = 3 CP
- Prof. Dr. Christian Holm (ICP)
- Dr. Jens Smiatek (ICP)
- Dr. Olaf Lenz (ICP)
- Dr. Matthias Krüger (MPI für Intelligente Systeme)
- Dr. Markus Bier (MPI für Intelligente Systeme)
- Course Number
- PO 2011: 31620 Hauptseminar in Theoretischer Physik (benoteter Leistungsnachweis)
- PO 2010: 28300 Fortgeschrittene Vielteilchentheorie (unbenoteter Leistungsnachweis als Prüfungsvorleistung)
- We expect the participants to have fundamental knowledge in classical and statistical mechanics, thermodynamics, electrodynamics, and partial differential equations.
General Topic: Polymers
- Introduction to Molecular Dynamics and Monte-Carlo Simulations (ICP) [SS 2013]
- Polymer Simulations (ICP) [SS 2013]
- Polymer Theory (Markus Bier, MPI-IS) [SS 2013]
- Theory of Liquids (Markus Bier, MPI-IS) SS 2013
- Poisson-Boltzmann Theory: Comparing Analytical Results and Theory (ICP)
- Computing Electrostatic Interactions in Simulations (ICP) [SS 2013]
- Atomistic Simulations of Biopolymers (ICP)
- Protein Folding (ICP)
Getting the credit points
To get the credit points for the seminar, the following criteria should be met:
- All participants have to be present in all talks and play a part in the discussions.
- Instead of writing a report after the talk, we expect the participants to distribute a handout in the week before and send it to Jens to be put up on the web page.
- The handout is to be written in English.
- All participants are expected to read the handout as preparation to the talk.
- It should describe the contents of the talk, written out in full.
- It should have 5 to 10 pages.
- If available, up to three original articles can be attached to the handout.
- The talk is to be given at the arranged time.
- The talk is to be held in English.
- The talk should take 40 to 45 minutes.
- We recommend to prepare electronic slides for the talk.
- They can be displayed on your own laptop or on the institute's laptop. In the first case, please check whether the projection works before the actual date, in the latter case, please contact us well beforehand so that we will bring the laptop.
- After the talk, there will be a discussion on the talk, where all participants are expected to actively contribute.
- After the discussion, we will give hints on how to improve the presentation.
- For the participants that require a grade (PO 2011), the following aspects will be important:
- Quality of the talk (contents, presentation, slides)
- Quality of the handout (contents, readability)
- Contributions to the discussion