Hauptseminar Theorie und Simulation der weichen Materie WS 2014/2015
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Seminar (Talks and Discussion)
- Date and Time
- Mo 23.02.2015 - We 25.02.2015
- Institut für Computerphysik, Seminar room 1.079
- Credit Points
- 2 SWS = 3 CP
- Prof. Dr. Christian Holm (ICP)
- Dr. Jens Smiatek (ICP)
- Dr. Matthias Krüger (MPI für Intelligente Systeme)
- Course Number
- PO 2011: 31620 Hauptseminar in Theoretischer Physik (benoteter Leistungsnachweis)
- PO 2010: 28300 Fortgeschrittene Vielteilchentheorie (unbenoteter Leistungsnachweis als Prüfungsvorleistung)
- We expect the participants to have fundamental knowledge in classical and statistical mechanics, thermodynamics, electrodynamics, and partial differential equations.
- Application (=Anmeldung) for the Seminar. Please write an email to Jens Smiatek until December 1 and name your three favorite topics. Topics will be assigned before December 15.
- There will be organizational meeting that will be mandatory to all participants in 2015, probably before christmas to discuss topics and style.
Preliminary meeting: "Standards for presentation" and "Definition: Soft Matter" Tuesday, January 27th, 2015 at 16:00 (ICP meeting room)
General Topic: From Model Systems to Material Properties (Vom Modell zur Materialeigenschaft)
- Linear-response theory
- Mode-Coupling theory for hard spheres
- Monte Carlo and Molecular Dynamics simulations of hard sphere systems
- Hard sphere solutions in the limit of high and dilute concentrations
Polymers and Polyelectrolytes:
- Theory of polymers: efficient description of polymers in analytical calculations
- Theory of polymer dynamics: Rouse- vs. Zimm regime (Hydrodynamic interactions)
- Polymer simulations in presence and in absence of hydrodynamic interactions
- Polymer melts and polymers in high concentrated solutions
Ionic Liquids (ILs):
- QM DFT simulations of ILs - what can be learned about polarization
- Atomistic simulation models: Polarizable versus classical force fields
- Coarse-grained simulation models: What is left to be learned
- Dynamical properties of ionic liquids
Getting the credit points
To get the credit points for the seminar, the following criteria should be met:
- All participants have to be present in all talks and play a part in the discussions.
- The trial talk has to be given at least two weeks before the seminar starts.
- Instead of writing a report after the talk, we expect the participants to distribute a handout two weeks before the seminar and send it to Jens Smiatek to be put up on the web page.
- The handout is to be written in English.
- All participants are expected to read the handout as preparation to the talk.
- It should describe the contents of the talk, written out in full.
- It should have 8 to 10 pages.
- If available, up to three original articles can be attached to the handout.
- The talk is to be given at the arranged time.
- The talk is to be held in English.
- The talk should take 40 to 45 minutes.
- You have to prepare electronic slides for the talk.
- After the discussion, we will give hints on how to improve the presentation.
- For the participants that require a grade (PO 2011), the following aspects will be important:
- The quality of the trial talk and final draft of the hand out (40%)
- The quality of the final presentation (40%)
- The level of participation in the discussion (20%)
- The final handout has to be prepared until March 6th, 2015