Hauptseminar Theorie und Simulation der weichen Materie WS 2014/2015
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Seminar (Talks and Discussion)
- Date and Time
- Mo 23.02.2015 - We 25.02.2015
- Institut für Computerphysik, Seminar room 1.079
- Credit Points
- 2 SWS = 3 CP
- Prof. Dr. Christian Holm (ICP)
- Dr. Jens Smiatek (ICP)
- Dr. Matthias Krüger (MPI für Intelligente Systeme)
- Course Number
- PO 2011: 31620 Hauptseminar in Theoretischer Physik (benoteter Leistungsnachweis)
- PO 2010: 28300 Fortgeschrittene Vielteilchentheorie (unbenoteter Leistungsnachweis als Prüfungsvorleistung)
- We expect the participants to have fundamental knowledge in classical and statistical mechanics, thermodynamics, electrodynamics, and partial differential equations.
- Application (=Anmeldung) for the Seminar. Please write an email to Jens Smiatek until December 1 and name your three favorite topics. Topics will be assigned before December 15.
- There will be organizational meeting that will be mandatory to all participants in 2015, probably before christmas to discuss topics and style.
Preliminary meeting: "Standards for presentation" and "Definition: Soft Matter" \br Tuesday, January 27th, 2015 at 16:00 (ICP meeting room)
General Topic: From Model Systems to Material Properties (Vom Modell zur Materialeigenschaft)
- Linear-response theory
- Mode-Coupling theory for hard spheres
- Monte Carlo and Molecular Dynamics simulations of hard sphere systems
- Hard sphere solutions in the limit of high and dilute concentrations
Polymers and Polyelectrolytes:
- Theory of polymers: efficient description of polymers in analytical calculations
- Theory of polymer dynamics: Rouse- vs. Zimm regime (Hydrodynamic interactions)
- Polymer simulations in presence and in absence of hydrodynamic interactions
- Polymer melts and polymers in high concentrated solutions
Ionic Liquids (ILs):
- QM DFT simulations of ILs - what can be learned about polarization
- Atomistic simulation models: Polarizable versus classical force fields
- Coarse-grained simulation models: What is left to be learned
- Dynamical properties of ionic liquids
Getting the credit points
To get the credit points for the seminar, the following criteria should be met:
- All participants have to be present in all talks and play a part in the discussions.
- The trial talk has to be given at least two weeks before the seminar starts.
- Instead of writing a report after the talk, we expect the participants to distribute a handout two weeks before the seminar and send it to Jens Smiatek to be put up on the web page.
- The handout is to be written in English.
- All participants are expected to read the handout as preparation to the talk.
- It should describe the contents of the talk, written out in full.
- It should have 8 to 10 pages.
- If available, up to three original articles can be attached to the handout.
- The talk is to be given at the arranged time.
- The talk is to be held in English.
- The talk should take 40 to 45 minutes.
- You have to prepare electronic slides for the talk.
- They can be displayed on your own laptop or on the institute's laptop. In the first case, please check whether the projection works before the actual date, in the latter case, please contact us well beforehand so that we will bring the laptop.
- After the talk, there will be a discussion on the talk, where all participants are expected to actively contribute.
- After the discussion, we will give hints on how to improve the presentation.
- For the participants that require a grade (PO 2011), the following aspects will be important:
- The quality of the trial talk and final draft of the hand out (40%)
- The quality of the final presentation (40%)
- The level of participation in the discussion (20%)
- The final handout has to be prepared until March 6th, 2015