Simulationsmethoden in der Physik I:Simulation Methods in Physics I
- Lecture (2 SWS) and Tutorials (2 SWS)
- The course will take place during the first 6 weeks of the semester with 4 hours per week lectures, and 4 hours tutorial
- Prof. Dr. Christian Holm (Lecture) and Joan Josep Cerdà, Fatemeh Tabatabaei, Nadezhda Gribova (Tutorials)
- Course language
- Deutsch oder Englisch, wie gewünscht- German or English, by vote
- Time and Room
- Lecture times: Tue 11.30 - 13.00 in V57.04 and Wed 9.45 - 11.15 in S6.331 (Seminarraum im 6. O.G.)
The lecture is accompanied by hands-on-tutorials which will take place in the CIP-Pool of the ICP, Pfaffenwaldring 27, U 104 or U 108. They consist of practical excercises at the computer, like small programming tasks, simulations, visualisation and data analysis. The tutorials build on each other, therefore continous attendance is expected. The dates of the tutorials will be fixed in the first lecture.
The course will give an introduction to modern simulational techniques, like Monte-Carlo (MC) and Molecular dynamics (MD) simulations (on- and off-lattice), and how to solve non-linear PDEs like the Poisson-Boltzmann equation.
We expect the participants to have basic knowledge in classical and statistical mechanics, thermodynamics, electrodynamics, and partial differential equations, as well as knowledge of a programming language (preferably C or C++).
- 1. Attendance of the exercise classes
- 2. Obtaining 50% of the possible marks in the hand-in exercises
Lecture (still under revision, please keep looking)
|21.4.||Initial informational meeting - Vorbesprechung|
|22.4.||Monte-Carlo integration/simulation (Simple vs. Importance sampling)|
|28.4.||2D Random walks (RW) and Self-avoiding random walks (SAW)--Ising model I (Phase transitions, Critical phenomena, Finite size scaling)|
|29.4.||2D Ising model II (Reweighting, Cluster Algorithm)|
|5.5.||Error Analysis (Binning, Jackknife, ...)
|6.5.||Molecular Dynamics I (Velocity Verlet algorithm, Reduced units, Langevin thermostat, Potentials, Forces, Atomistic force fields)|
|12.5.||Molecular Dynamics II
|27.5.||last lecture of Simulationsmethoden I