Simulationsmethoden II SS2010
Simulationsmethoden in der Physik II: Simulation Methods in Physics II
- Lecture (2 SWS) and Tutorials (1 SWS)
- Prof. Dr. Christian Holm (Lecture) and Joan Josep Cerdà, Nadezhda Gribova (Tutorials)
- Course language
- Time and Room
- Lecture times: Monday, 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m., Room V27.03
- Tutorial times: Wednesday, 3:30 p.m.-5:30 p.m., Room U 108 (Pfaffenwaldring 27)
The lecture is accompanied by hands-on-tutorials which will take place in the CIP-Pool of the ICP, Pfaffenwaldring 27, U 108. They consist of practical exercises at the computer, like small programming tasks, simulations, visualization and data analysis. The tutorials build on each other, therefore continuous attendance is expected.
The course intends to give an overview about modern simulation methods used in physics today. The stress of the lecture will be to introduce different approaches to simulate a problem, hence we will not go too to deep into specific details but rather try to cover a broad range of methods. In more detail, the lecture will consist of:
We expect the participants to have basic knowledge in classical and statistical mechanics, thermodynamics, electrodynamics, and partial differential equations, as well as knowledge of a programming language (preferably C or C++).
The final mark would consists :
- 1. 50% of the marks for the hand-in exercises for both parts of the course (Simulation Methods in Physics I and II)
- 2. 50% of the mark at the oral exam in the end of the course.
Tutorials (U 108)
|05.05/12.05||Atomistic simulations using GROMACS package. Water models.|
|19.05/02.06||Introduction to ESPResSo package. Simulation of a polymer.|
|16.06/23.06||Simulation of a charged rod.|
D.P. Landau and K. Binder.