Simulationsmethoden I WS 09 10
Simulationsmethoden in der Physik I:Simulation Methods in Physics I
- Lecture (2 SWS) and Tutorials (2 SWS)
- The course will take place during the first 6 weeks of the semester with 2 hours per week lectures, and 2 hours tutorial
- Prof. Dr. Christian Holm (Lecture) and Joan Josep Cerdà, Fatemeh Tabatabaei, Nadezhda Gribova (Tutorials)
- Course language
- Deutsch oder Englisch, wie gewünscht- German or English, by vote
- Time and Room
- Lecture times: Monday, 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m., Room V27.03 (tentative),
The lecture is accompanied by hands-on-tutorials which will take place in the CIP-Pool of the ICP, Pfaffenwaldring 27, U 108. They consist of practical exercises at the computer, like small programming tasks, simulations, visualization and data analysis. The tutorials build on each other, therefore continuous attendance is expected. Tutorials will be hold on: Time to be announced.
The course will give an introduction to modern simulational techniques, like Monte-Carlo (MC) and Molecular dynamics (MD) simulations (on- and off-lattice).
We expect the participants to have basic knowledge in classical and statistical mechanics, thermodynamics, electrodynamics, and partial differential equations, as well as knowledge of a programming language (preferably C or C++).
- 1. Attendance of the exercise classes
- 2. Obtaining 50% of the possible marks in the hand-in exercises
Tutorials (U 108)
D.P. Landau and K. Binder.